Taiwan launches construction of 3rd and 4th Mine Laying Ships

On April 17, 2020, Lungteh shipyard laid the keel for the third and fourth Min Jiang-class minelayer. The Min Jiang-class minelayer's mission, in wartime, is to use their automated mine-deploying systems quickly to lay minefields in the path of a Chinese invasion fleet.

Taiwan launches construction of 3rd and 4th Mine Laying Ships 925 003 Model of new indigenous minelayer under construction for the ROC Navy (Picture source: Twitter Account/Guy Plopsky)

According to Lungteh Shipbuilding, the vessels have a full load displacement of 347 tons, a length of 41 meters, a width of 8.8 meters and a draft of 1.7 meters. The vessels can reach a maximum speed of 14 knots.

The vessel armament's comprises of a 20mm T75 gun mount (as the main gun) and two T74 machine guns (manned 7.62×51 mounts).

The Republic of China Navy plans to begin accepting the 3rd and 4th minelayers in 2021. The first mine-laying vessel is expected to be delivered this year, according to plans.

Taiwan launches construction of 3rd and 4th Mine Laying Ships 925 004Tuo Jiang II class catamaran corvette design. ROC navy picture (Picture source: ROC navy picture)

In addition to the Min Jiangs, the navy launched the upgrade project of the Tuo Jiang corvette. Each of the speedy, 600-tons-displacement vessels carries 16 anti-ship missiles. The Tuo Jiangs will complement 42 older missile boats and the first of which is expected to be delivered in late 2021, with the last one set to enter service in 2025.