World Naval Forces News - UK, France, USA
|Pictures: Royal Navy and French Navy vessels with USS Abraham Lincoln carrier in Strait of Hormuz|
As we reported last week British and French ships joined a US carrier group in a six-strong flotilla of warships which passed through the Strait of Hormuz. French Navy released several pictures of the passage and of joint maneuvers in the gulf.
Britain's Ministry of Defence said in January that a Royal Navy frigate, HMS Argyll, was part of a US-led carrier group to sail through the waterway which Iran has threatened to close over Western moves to impose new sanctions over Tehran's nuclear programme.
A spokesman said: "HMS Argyll and a French vessel joined a US carrier group transiting through the Strait of Hormuz, to underline the unwavering international commitment to maintaining rights of passage under international law."
As we then reported, the French Navy vessel probably La Motte-Picquet anti-submarine destroyer (or frigate in French Navy designation).
The crew of La Motte-Picquet took several pictures of the joint maneuvers and the French Navy just released them.
(All pictures: French Navy/Marine Nationale)
The six vessels strong battle group is made of:
- USS Abraham Lincoln (CVN-72) Nimitz class nuclear-powered aircraft carrier.
- USS Sterett (DDG-104) and USS Russell (DDG-59) Arleigh Burke-class destroyers.
- USS Cape St. George (CG-71) Ticonderoga-class cruiser.
- HMS Argyll (F231) Type 23 'Duke' Class frigate.
- French Ship La Motte-Picquet (D645) Georges Leygues Class Destroyer (Frigate in French designation)
- Press Release
- World Naval Forces
- World Naval Industry
- Our Other Websites