Video: Interview with the LPD 28/LX(R) program manager during Sea Air Space 2016
Comments by Navy Recognition:
During the Sea Air Space 2016 exposition back in May, Steve Sloan (the program manager at HII) told us the main design features HII and the US Navy worked on to reduce the cost of LPD 28 compared to the San Antonio class on which it is based:
- LPD 28 bow works is simplified
- Forward: LPD 17 composite mast is replaced with a steel mast based on the DDG 51 mast design (AN/SPQ-9B radar on top)
- Structures in the boat valley are removed
- Aft: LPD 17 composite mast is replaced with a mast similar to the one found aboard LHA 6 and 7 (AN/SPS-48 radar on top)
- Stern gate is open at the top
LPD 28 featuring optional 16x Mk41 VLS cells in line with the distributed lethality concept
LPD 28 weapons fit is the same as LPD 17: 2x RIM-116 RAM launchers (21 missiles each) and 2x MK 46 (Bushmaster II) 30mm guns, fitted in the same location (at the stern and on top of the aviation hangar). The scale model at SNA also featured 2x SEWIP electronic warfare system (fitted on each side of the bridge) and 8x Nulka decoy launchers.
The scale model on display at Sea Air Space 2016 featured an important optional difference however: 16x Mk41 VLS cells. We were explained this optional feature is representative of how HII could answer possible future US Navy requirement in line with the distributed lethality concept.
More details on LPD 28 design in our SNA 2016 article from January.
- Press Release
- World Naval Forces
- World Naval Industry
- Our Other Websites