Textron Systems awarded engineering contract for US Navy Unmanned Surface Vehicle program

On May 8, 2020, AAI Corp., doing business as Textron Systems, Hunt Valley, Maryland, is awarded a $20,720,170 cost-plus-fixed-fee modification to previously awarded contract for engineering and technical services for the U.S. Navy Unmanned Influence Sweep System (UISS) and Unmanned Surface Vehicle program.
Follow Navy Recognition on Google News at this link

Textron Systems awarded engineering contract for US Navy Unmanned Surface Vehicle program 925 001 The US Navy’s Unmanned Influence Sweep System (UISS) program, based on Textron Systems’ Common Unmanned Surface Vehicle CUSV.  (Picture source Textron Systems)

Work will be performed in Hunt Valley, Maryland (70%) and Slidell, Louisiana (30%). The UISS will allow the Littoral combat ship to perform its mine countermeasure sweep mission and targets acoustic, magnetic and magnetic/acoustic combination mine types.

The UISS program will satisfy the Navy's need for a rapid, wide-area coverage mine clearance capability which are required to neutralize magnetic/acoustic influence mines. The UISS also seeks to provide a high-area coverage rate in a small, lightweight package with minimal impact on the host platform.

The system is designed to operate as part of the littoral combat ship (LCS) mine countermeasure (MCM) package. UISS consists of a mine countermeasure unmanned surface vessel (USV) and a towed minesweeping package that can detect magnetic, acoustic and combination mines. Although being designed for the LCS the systems can operate from other vessels or be launched from the shore.

The US Navy’s Unmanned Influence Sweep System (UISS) program, based on Textron Systems’ Common Unmanned Surface Vehicle (CUSV). 

Work is expected to be complete by September 2021. Fiscal 2020 research, development, test and evaluation (Navy) funds in the amount of $7,193,864 will be obligated at time of award and not expire at the end of the current fiscal year.